Photobucket  photo linec_zpsaf5a5183.jpg Photobucket  photo linec_zpsaf5a5183.jpg Photobucket  photo linec_zpsaf5a5183.jpg Photobucket  photo linec_zpsaf5a5183.jpg Photobucket

Monday, May 28, 2012

Blue Polka Dot Skirt Refashion

Happy Memorial Day! And a big thank you to all who are currently serving our country or have served in the past.

It has been obscenely hot here in my opinion. On Saturday my friends and I went to a place called SkyZone which is basically a large room filled with trampolines - super fun! After church yesterday, we went to the new Waffle House near campus.

I can't wait for summer. No homework, cool job, and lots of crafts. Lots of crafts. Prepare yourselves. I have many ideas in store.

In other news, I've decided that my roommates for next year are some of the coolest people ever. Which I guess I already knew. But anyways, I'm so excited to be living with them.

Want to know what we're doing this week?

Another refashion? Yes please!


I feel like I say this every week, but this really is one of my simplest and cheapest tutorials yet!



The wind was blowing, so I went a little Marilyn:

And since Kellyn was taking the pictures, I got a little goofy...

Now that you've seen our little photoshoot, let's get on with the tutorial!


I found this skirt at a church yard sale for one dollar. I repeat, ONE DOLLAR. ONE BUCK.
I couldn't say no! It was calling me.


It hit me mid-calf which is too short to be a maxi skirt and too long to make me look tall. The longer the skirt goes past my knees, the shorter I look. And I need all the help I can get in the height department, so I decided to shorten it! 

It fit around the waist (yay!) so all I had to do was hem it. Easy!

Here's what you'll need:
-skirt, dress, etc. that needs shortened
-sewing machine
-iron
-other sewing stuff (pins, chalk, etc.)

Here's what you do:

1. After washing well, try the skirt on and decide what length you want it. Place a pin at the appropriate length and take the skirt off.

2. Lay flat on the floor or a large tabletop-type surface. Start cutting where you put the pin. Try and mimic the cut that the skirt originally had on the hem. 


3. Once you get halfway, fold the skirt over and match edge to edge. Then cut the other half. This will give you an even-looking hem. Mine had a lining built in so just make sure you cut that too. Cut the lining a little shorter than the skirt so that it doesn't show when you're wearing it.


4. Iron over the edge, iron again so you get a nice edge, and sew.

You're finished! Show it off to the world.


If you aren't a member/follower of my blog yet and you have a google, yahoo, or twitter account, sign in and join my site! I'd love to have you following along!
________________________________________________________________________

"If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness. If we claim we have not sinned, we make him out to be a liar and his word is not in us. My dear children, I write this to you so that you will not sin. But if anybody does sin, we have an advocate with the Father--Jesus Christ, the Righteous One. He is the atoning sacrifice for our sins, and not only for ours but also for the sins of the whole world." -1 John 1:8-2:2
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback? Questions? Say it here! I love hearing from you all.

Please keep your comments and feedback kind and uplifting.